Starting work without a check

Starting work without a check

An individual should not begin working until the DBS Certificate has been received.

In exceptional circumstances, an individual may begin work on completion and submission of a risk assessment form completed and authorised by the headteacher.

The DBS check must be in process with the DBS before a risk assessment and barred list check can be used.

The barred list check

Carry out the barred list on the Teacher Services website 

Step 1

Ask the applicant for their consent to the barred list check and complete consent form.

Regulated activity barred list consent form PDF, 98.3KB

Step 2

Carry out the barred list on the Teacher Services website by logging in as you usually would, to carry out Teacher Regulation Agency checks, scroll down and enter the surname and date of birth. Do this multiple times if they have previous names and retain the results from each name check, by a screen print, saved together in one document.

Make sure all surnames of the applicant are checked and their DoB is correct. If incorrect or incomplete information is provided, the barred list check will be invalid.

Step 3

Complete the risk assessment e-form and attach the:

  • Regulated activity barred list consent form
  • Barred list check result (screenprint/prints for multiple names, saved in a word document)

Risk assessment e-form

Electronic Risk Assessment Guidance

Step 4

The pre-employment risk assessment and supporting paperwork must be checked and approved by the DBS/Safeguarding in Employment Team before the person can start.

You will receive confirmation from the DBS/Safeguarding in Employment Team that the pre-employment risk assessment has been approved and you will need to upload this to the electronic Schools Notification of Appointment Form.

A copy of the pre-employment risk assessment and child barred list check is required to be sent to HR for retention on the personal file. Once the certificate has cleared, send a copy of the clearance email to HR for retention on the personal file.


Disclosure of criminal convictions during employment and transfer of risk

All employees owe a duty of trust and confidence to the council. If at any time during the course of employment an employee is charged with or convicted of a criminal offence, this should be disclosed at the earliest possible opportunity.

The council will then assess whether or not the charge or conviction affects the employee’s suitability to perform their role and their continued employment. Motoring offences that are dealt with by way of a fixed penalty notice do not need to be disclosed except where employees are required to drive council vehicles as part of their role, or where it results in disqualification from driving, and the employee is required to drive in order to perform their role or a substantial proportion of their role.

Transfer of risk is where criminal information (as above) relating to another member of an employee’s household could have an impact on an employee’s capacity and capability to undertake a job role satisfactorily. An employee will be informed of any job role that includes a requirement to disclose any criminal information (as above) of any household member of an employee. A risk assessment process will be completed by relevant managers where information of that nature is disclosed which will include an impact assessment on an employee’s job role and any recommendations for modifying an employee’s job role.

Failure to disclose relevant information in accordance with the above requirements will be regarded as serious misconduct and may lead to formal disciplinary action including dismissal.
Any information disclosed by an employee will be kept confidential and will be shared only with any managers or employees who need to know as part of any decision making process. All information will be stored securely.

Reporting concerns

Social workers must report concerns about significant harm to their line manager. All other workers should report concerns about significant harm to children or young people, to the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) for Child Protection.

Concerns about significant harm to adults with care and support needs (applies to some special schools only) should be reported to Safeguarding Adults First Response. All workers may report concerns through the council's Confidential Reporting/Whistleblowing Policy.

Further information can be obtained from the HR Service Desk:

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good